In order to save a few dollars, you may be tempted to set up and perform simple routine maintenance on your car at home in your garage. How difficult can it be?
And while some jobs may seem simple for the do it yourselfer, remember that cars can be dangerous for you and your family. While it is a feasible way to save money, if you are going to perform your own auto repairs, it is essential for you to be safe. The following auto repair safety tips will help you avoid accidental injury.
- Never perform repairs that are beyond your scope of expertise. In other words, if you truly do not know how to make the repair, let a professional do it for you.
- Know your own physical limitations. If there are things that you cannot do without help, such as lifting a heavy piece of equipment, as for help. Otherwise, you run the risk of injury.
- Stay focused. If you are distracted, you can hurt yourself. Make your auto repairs with a clear head so you can stay on task and avoid injury.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case of an accidental fire.
- Avoid smoking while making auto repairs, especially if you are working on any parts that are fuel-related, such as the fuel pump.
- Ensure that your car is properly supported before crawling underneath it. Support stands are available to hold up your car. Never trust a jack, cinder blocks or any other type of support because these can easily tip over – crushing you under the car.
- Disconnect the battery before making any electrical repairs.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing or jewelry that might be caught in the motor’s moving parts.
- Use eye and ear protection to avoid eye injury, such as from the accidental spraying of fluid, and ear injury from unexpected loud noises.
- Make sure your motor is completely cool before starting your repairs – this will help you avoid any burns from hot parts and hot coolant.
Are you tired of visiting the auto dealers and chain stores for your automotive needs, where you are nothing more than a number? Looking for that honest and friendly customer service you can usually only find in a small town? Look no further – that’s why we created Express Car Care Denver. Some of our services include no wait Oil Change - Brakes Service - Clutches - Tune-Ups but we provide additional services for your car, just stop by and let us take a look.
Call us with any questions - (303) 691-2760
Express Car Care is family owned and operated, and you will always see the same faces when you visit. While I own Express Car Care, I work here as well. You’ll always see me somewhere in the building, and I’m always around to answer your questions, or just to say hi.