Fuel economy is always important. But it’s even more important in the summer months when the weather is warm and we are spending more time driving to extra summertime activities. Here are ten simple tips to follow so you can spend less money on gasoline and more on other things.
- Regular Recommended Maintenance- Making sure your vehicle is well maintained will keep it operating more efficiently. Regular maintenance not only improves your cars performance, it also improves your fuel economy. Using the proper fuel (right octane) and the recommended grade of motor oil will save you money on repairs and improve your fuel economy. Check your owner’s manual for that information. Have your car serviced regularly by a trusted mechanic.
- Plan Your Trips- Make a list of your errands and combine as many as possible. When your engine is cold, it uses more fuel than when it is warm. Combining errands can improve your fuel economy because your engine is warm more of the trip.
- Keep Your Tires Properly Inflated- Properly inflated tires can reduce your gas consumption up to 3%. Tires that don’t have the proper inflation don’t roll as well which causes your car to use more fuel. Having the proper air pressure also helps you avoid uneven wear on your tires.
- Reduce Your Load- The heavier the vehicle the more energy is required to move it, so get rid of any unnecessary weight. An extra 100 lbs. will reduce your fuel economy as much as 2%. Empty your trunk and lose the roof rack if possible. A roof rack increases aerodynamic drag and therefore reduces your fuel economy.
- Maintain a Steady Speed- Sudden starts and stops decrease your fuel economy. Braking wastes energy from fuel that you’ve already burned and accelerating after braking consumes more fuel than driving at a steady speed. Driving at a steady pace improves your gas mileage and also reduces the wear on your brakes.
- Avoid Excessive Idling- When you leave your car running while you are waiting in line or in a parking lot fuel is being wasted. Your car is using fuel when it’s running even if it’s not moving.
- Be Smart About A/C- Whether or not you should use your air conditioning is determined by what kind of driving you are doing. If you are driving in the city with frequent stops for lights and at slower speeds, then lower your windows rather than using the air-conditioning. For highway driving it is more fuel efficient to close the windows and use the air-conditioning. Driving with your windows down increases the drag on your vehicle and burns more fuel.
- Check Your Air Filter- A dirty air filter will reduce fuel economy; it can also cause your engine to stall when idling. Your air filter should be changed at least once a year, more frequently if you live in a high pollution area or drive on dirt roads.
- Keep Your Tank Full- When you fill up your tank fill it completely, but don’t overfill, then try to keep it above one third full. If your fuel becomes too low your engine might not receive a steady supply of gasoline which causes your engine to run less efficiently. Buy your gasoline during the coolest times of the day if possible, the gasoline is denser when it is cool and denser gas helps your car run more efficiently.
- Use Synthetic Oil- Using synthetic oil can save you on average 5% gas. Remember to change it according to your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations for any oil. Extending oil change intervals can be harmful to the life of your engine and fuel saving benefits are lost as oil gets dirty.
Are you tired of visiting the auto dealers and chain stores for your automotive needs, where you are nothing more than a number? Looking for that honest and friendly customer service you can usually only find in a small town? Look no further – that’s why we created Express Car Care Denver. Some of our services include no wait Oil Change - Brakes Service - Clutches - Tune-Ups but we provide additional services for your car, just stop by and let us take a look.
Call us with any questions - (303) 691-2760
Express Car Care is family owned and operated, and you will always see the same faces when you visit. While I own Express Car Care, I work here as well. You’ll always see me somewhere in the building, and I’m always around to answer your questions, or just to say hi.