Has your car lost its get up and go? Here are five things to look for if you think your car might have transmission trouble.
- Lack of Response- Your car shouldn’t hesitate when shifting or refuse to go into gear. If the engine speeds up when you step on the gas pedal but the car doesn’t, or if the car’s passing gear won’t engage, those could be signs of trouble.
- Whining, Clunking or Humming- Your car should shift quietly when it’s running correctly. The sounds can vary but you should have your car checked if you notice new noises that can begin irregularly then grow in frequency. If caught early you can avoid costly repairs.
- Grinding or Shaking- Your car should shift smoothly from gear to gear. If you are experiencing any jarring or shimmying when your car shifts you might have transmission trouble.
- Check Engine Light- Newer cars have sensors that pick-up small irregularities in the engine and notify the computer that something is wrong. These sensors can detect vibrations and early problems that you can’t even feel or see. The check engine light can also alert you to other issues that might be going on with your car.
- Leaking Fluid- Transmission fluid is vital to your car’s shifting ability and should be checked regularly. The transmission fluid should be bright red, clear and smell sweet if parts are working correctly. The fluid shouldn’t be dark in color or have a burnt smell. Unlike motor oil, transmission fluid isn’t burned up so if the fluid level is low it is very possible you could have a leak. The transmission fluid runs through a filter to help keep it clean. This filter should be replaced according to your manufacturers recommendations so it doesn’t become clogged.
Just being aware of the signs of possible transmission trouble and looking out for them can help you keep your car on the road and running smoothly.
Are you tired of visiting the auto dealers and chain stores for your automotive needs, where you are nothing more than a number? Looking for that honest and friendly customer service you can usually only find in a small town? Look no further – that’s why we created Express Car Care Denver. Some of our services include no wait Oil Change - Brakes Service - Clutches - Tune-Ups but we provide additional services for your car, just stop by and let us take a look.
Call us with any questions - (303) 691-2760
Express Car Care is family owned and operated, and you will always see the same faces when you visit. While I own Express Car Care, I work here as well. You’ll always see me somewhere in the building, and I’m always around to answer your questions, or just to say hi.